Monday, November 28, 2011

45 RPM: The Everly Brothers - When Will I Be Loved




Hey, night swimmers out there. It's 3:45 a.m. and I ain't had NO sleep. Yesterday -- Sunday morning, I brewed coffee and fixed a Mediterranean omelette while Liana and the kids slept in. I was thinking about life. For years I was on my own. I thought nobody gave a crap about Ol' J. Guy. There was a young woman, a copy editor at my campus newspaper, the Sunflower. She was newly married and I asked her: "I'm 23-years-old. When's it 'gonna happen for me?" A week later, she brought pictures from her wedding to show me. Thought it would lift my spirits. Her heart was in the right place and that's what counts.
I was over 30 when I met Liana. My friend, Andy, was over 40 when he married his wife, Martha. I understand he was a pretty lonely man for many years. My mother was lonely, when at age 17, she married my dad. She told me Dad, who was just out of the Army, was also lonely. Said he was lonely again 20 years later when he married my step-mom. "How could that be?" I wondered. "How could a tough guy like my dad feel lonely?"

Anyhow, here is something from my friends, the Everly Brothers -- that's Phil and Don. Sent over the land to you.

Christmas parody letter 2018

Ho! ho! ho! Everybody. It's Christmas time again and I hope you're feeling jolly and that your yuletide is gay. May you all be d...