Sunday, June 9, 2013

Super guys


I want to briefly reflect on a friend who passed. This is kind of along the lines of my previous published column. Last Monday, while learning about the death of a national hero, my wife informed me that a local hero from my hometown had died.

There's a family owned pharmacy in my hometown and that's where I get all my drugs. I do not use Wal-Mart, Walgreens and I darn sure don't use Kober Brothers supermarket pharmacy. Those stuck-up jerks have been rude to my wife and I one to many times.

So in my hometown of Jett, Kan., it's always been Cooper Drug for me. Cletus owned the store from 1956 until around 10 years ago when his son Brett took over. Still, although long retired, Cletus showed up for work about every day. He kept his pharmacist license current and displayed on the wall. He continued to fill prescriptions and give consultations. I think he liked wearing that white pharmacist jacket. Working right to the end at 83-years-old. I'd say that's a good way to go.

The funeral took place last Friday at St. James Catholic Church. My cousin, Scott, a friend of Brett's arrived in town for the memorial and was quickly back on the road to preach Sunday at the church he pastors in South Dakota. Several of Brett's friends came to lend support. He's a super guy with a super family and he brings out the best in people.

Like his old man.

Let's be good to each other. Have a great week.

Christmas parody letter 2018

Ho! ho! ho! Everybody. It's Christmas time again and I hope you're feeling jolly and that your yuletide is gay. May you all be d...